What is Computed Tomography?
Computed Tomography is a diagnostic tool that uses a special x-ray equipment to obtain information from different points of the patient’s body. The computer is used to process information and make a picture “cross-sectional” which can be seen in the form of layers of the body and organs.
ACT (Computed Tomography) scanner, or sometimes also called a CAT (computerized axial tomography), is an instrument of a special x-ray that is used to examine internal structures and organs body. CT is a modern medical tool that provides quick result and very convenient for patient due to its ability to obtain a combination of tissue, bone, and blood vessels images.
GENERAL USE OF CT SCAN
- To detect the bleeding
- To detect the presence of tumor
- To provide information on the size of the tumor and location of the tumor accurately
- To help the planning of radiotherapy or surgery
- To provide an overview of cancer metastasis
- To provide information on evaluation cancer treatment
- To determine the structure and anatomical abnormalities blood vessel
FOR CHILDREN, CT SCAN GENERALLY USED TO EVALUATE:
- Neuroblastoma / adrenal tumor that usually occurs in children
- Kidney Tumors
- Abnormalities in blood vessels, heart and kidneys
- Complications of acute appendicitis
- Complications in pneumonia
- Inammatory bowel disease
- Severe injury
- Congenital abnormalities
- Trauma in the lungs and blood vessels
What to Prepare Before Examination?
For the examination of CT scan that uses the contrast,recommended fasting 4-6 hours. Contrast can administered orally, rectal or intravenous injection.
IS CT SCAN SAFE?
CT scans use more radiation than X-ray ordinary, but the benefits are usually larger examination of the risk incurred.contrast can cause allergic reactions, but it happened the percentage slightly. And in case of radiology unit is ready to handle such emergencies. CT Scan not recommended for pregnant women.
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN CT SCAN AND MRI
CT scans use X-ray radiation, whereas MRI uses a magnetic field and wave frequency radio. CT Scan nice for the examination of the bones and examination of blood vessels and assess vessels heart blood, being nice to MRI examination soft tissue and nerves.